“Se baila así, se goza más, Se baila así, se goza más”

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Oye de aquí para allá
Eee...de allá para acá
Es que se puede vacilar
Es que mi swing es tropical


Last night I felt like eating home made food. I have been eating out a lot lately due to all the traveling. I mean I love eating out, especially food that I am unable to prepare at home or consumes too much time, but last night I wanted something that my mom would make…simple and easy but super delicious. When I was growing up in Mysore, my mom would obviously prepare a lot of Konkani food that was influenced by Karnataka (Kannadiga) cuisine. Tomato rice was one such meal. Now I know a lot of you grew up on Tomato rice…but in Karnataka this was a staple. I remember during lunches my classmates would often bring tomato rice and dhai rice (mosaru anna) with pickle on the side. I was too lazy to go grocery shopping so I rummaged through my fridge last night to see what I could prepare with the groceries and left over I had at home. I had some left over cooked rice, 3 juicy tomatoes, ½ a red pepper, onions and green chilies. I found a recipe for Tomato rice from my mom and combined it with Meena’s recipe for mixed beans and tomato rice. Instead of making the rice with mixed beans, I decided to just use kidney beans (rajma) which is high in protein and iron. So here is the recipe for Tomato rice with beans:

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice
1 can of kidney beans
1 medium onion sliced thinly
1 large tomato chopped
½ red bell pepper chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chili powder
½ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp garam masala
1 sprig of curry leaves
2 tbsp cooking oil
Salt, to taste
2 green chilies, finely chopped

To Make:
Heat oil in a deep pan and add curry leaves and mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter, add garlic and sliced onions. When lightly browned add green chilies and tomatoes and cook till tomatoes soften. Add turmeric, garam masala, chili powder and mixed beans, red bell pepper and mix well. Cook for 5 mins with the lid on. Mix in cooked rice and make sure the beans and spices blend in well with the rice and cook for about 3 mins on medium heat. Add salt per taste and mix well. Serve hot with lemon pickle.



This meal took me back to my younger days in Mysore. I love the fact that this is a one pot meal that’s healthy and tasty. Until the next yummy recipe, happy eating and blogging :o)

PS (Every time I see the new Ipod commercial with this song (blog radio) I wanna get up and dance!)

0 comments:

 
Life with Extra Mirchi - by Templates para novo blogger