“And it's all because of you. Never get enough coz she's the sweetest drug”

Friday, May 4, 2007

And I know this much is true
Baby, you have become my addiction
I'm so strung out on you
I can barely move...but I like it

School is out! Yay! If you come around our house, Bhatji and I are rejoicing that his finals are done and we get to spend some time as a normal couple…minus the books and worrying about exams etc. The next 2 weeks should be fun and I wanna do 10 different things that we haven’t been able to do in the past couple of months. We haven’t been able to watch any of the Netflix movies we have been getting either…we have been saving them on Bhatji's computer, So last night we watched “The Departed”. It was a decent movie because the suspense was well built and all the actors did a great job but the ending was….disappointing. The last few scenes reminded of a Hindi movie: An ending that dragged and a plot that started to weaken. I guess my expectations were pretty high so I didn’t really see the hype. Definitely happy that we waited for the DVD.
Being Konkani means that we will use everything and anything and turn it into a meal; not just any meal but a delicious meal. We are capable of using leftovers and turning it into a feast. When I was younger my mom would make tons of idlis and after we were tired of the idli samabhar/chutney combo she would turn the idlis into usli (which is a sort of upma). Idli usli is a great snack or breakfast and is perfect of lunches. Here is the recipe as per my mom.
Ingredients:
5-6 leftover idlis broken into pieces
1 green bell pepper cored and cut into small pieces
2 table spoons of olive oil
1 tsp of mustard seeds
1 tsp of jeera or cumin seeds
1 tsp of urad dhal
3 dry red chilies broken into halves
Few curry leaves (karabev)
A pinch of hing
Salt to taste
¼ cup of water

To Make:
Heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds, jeera, urad dhal, red chilies, curry leaves. When the spices start to splutter add the hing and green bell pepper. Sauté for a few and add the broken pieces of idli, add a few table spoons of water so the idli doesn’t burn and cook for about 3-4 mins. Take off heat and serve.


It was sooooo tasty! Until the next blog and recipe…Happy eating!

0 comments:

 
Life with Extra Mirchi - by Templates para novo blogger