“Do you got what it takes to set me free…Oh you could mean everything to me”

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

I can't say that I'm not lost and at fault
I can't say that I don't love the light and the dark
I can't say that I don't know that I am alive
And all of what I feel I could show
You tonite


Last night after enduring the frigid temperature on my commute home from my work, all I wanted to do was lay on the sofa with a blankey and drink soup. Alas that was not possible, since I had taken Sunday and Monday as my days off from working out, I had to visit the gym, followed by 20 mins of Denise Austin. By the way, I recommend Denise Austin’s “Hit the spot Pilates” to all my female friends. The Pilates exercises are great for trouble areas for most women such as abs, waist, hips, buns and thighs. Anyway by the time I finished my grueling long work out, it was 8.15 PM! And I had a hungry husband to feed who was studying away for his countless upcoming tests and papers. I figured that I whatever I would cook would have to be quick…Lord knew that soon enough his hunger pangs would start to show. So after looking through the fridge I decided to make Beans saru upkari and Potato and bell pepper upkari. This would not only be easy but a very healthy, vegetarian meal. And did I mention a very Konkani meal:o)

Ingredient for Beans saru upkari:
1) Canned black beans
2) 4-5 cloves of peeled garlic cloves
3) 3-4 dry red chillies
4) One can of water (you can use the same can as the black beans)
5) 2 tsp of oil
6) Salt to taste

To make:
Heat the oil in a sauce pan. Add garlic and fry till a little brown. Then add the red chillies and fry for about a minute. Add the can of black beans, followed by a can of water, add salt to taste. When it comes to a boil, turn off heat and serve on white rice.


Ingredients for Potato and Bell pepper upkari:
1) 3-4 medium sized potatoes
2) 2 green and/or red bell peppers
3) Sambhar powder 1 tsp
4) Oil 1 tsp
5) Cumin seeds(jeera) 1 tsp
6) Turmeric a pinch
7) Tamarind pulp 1 tsp
8) Chilli powder ½ tsp
9) Garlic power ½ tsp
10) Salt to taste


To make:
Boil the potatoes in a microwave for about 6-8 mins. Cut the potatoes and bell peppers into long thin pieces. Heat the oil and the cumin seeds. When you hear the jeera splutter add the potatoes and fry for about 3-4 mins. Then add the bell peppers and turmeric close the pan with a lid and cook for about 8 mins. Once the vegetables appear a little brown and tender, add the sambhar powder, tamarind pulp, chilli powder, garlic powder and salt. Cook for another 4-5 mins, remove from heat and serve as a side dish with the saru upkari.

I serve Limbiya nonche (lemon pickle) with dinner and it was absolutely yummy! While relaxing and watching TV during dinner, we happened to look out and it was snowing! Don’t you love winter? I love winter when I am indoors, eating a hot meal under some blankets with the husband :o)

0 comments:

 
Life with Extra Mirchi - by Templates para novo blogger